WIA Farm Development Center
Women-in Agriculture (WIA) Farm Development Center at Genesys
Purpose of the WIA Farm Development Center: The purpose of the WIA Farm Development Center is to support women who are beginning a farming business by providing resources to become economically independent farm business owners, and to reduce significant barriers to starting a successful farm business.
- Located on the Genesys Health System/Health Park Campus, the WIA Farm Development Center is a place where beginning women farmers can receive education and development to achieve viable farming careers.
- MSU Center for Regional Food Systems (CRFS) partnered with MIFFS to facilitate a WIA Network in Genesee County, encouraging women to help each other solve problems and develop new solutions for themselves, their families, and their communities.
What You Will See:
- Three acres of the Genesys Health Park Campus farmed by beginning women farmers/growers
- Construction of hoop houses to extend the Michigan vegetable growing season
- Healthy food production including vegetables, mushrooms and honey
Why this Matters to our Community:
- The WIA Farm Development Center is aligned with the Community Health Needs Assessment for Genesee County and the City of Flint. It was developed by local health service providers who prioritized Nutrition and Diet as focus areas for local program implementation.
- The WIA Farm Development Center fits the Genesys strategic objective where keeping people healthy is just as important as treating them when they are sick. Healthy food access helps to accomplish that goal.
- The WIA Farm Development Center serves as an economic development opportunity to expand the capacity of women to be a part of the local economy.
- Genesys Health System (GHS)
- Michigan Food & Farming Systems (MIFFS)
- MSU Center for Regional Food Systems (CRFS)
- Michigan State University Extension (MSUE)
- MSU Student Organic Farm
- Community Foundation of Greater Flint (CFGF)
- ROWE Professional Services Company
- USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Michigan
For More Information Please Call:
Genesys Health System - Marketing Department (810) 606-6270
This effort is based upon work that is supported by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, U.S. Department of Agriculture, under award number 2015-70017-22856